Advanced Typography / Task 3 Type Expression and Application

12 / 06 / 2024 —  23 / 07 / 2024 (Week 08 — Week 14)

Kim Seoyoon / 0357755

GCD 61004 / Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University

Task 3 / Type Expression and Application


TABLE OF CONTENT

LECTURES

INSTRUCTIONS

TASK 3

    TASK 3 OUTCOME COMPILATION

FEEDBACK

REFLECTION


LECTURES

WEEK 01 – 04 LECTURES CLICK HERE



INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1czvUywyvlXMwGJiaV_bVYhvJHPDAg_zU/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
Module Information Booklet

Task 3 — Type Expression and Application (30%)
Timeframe: Week 08 - Week 12 (Deadline Week 13)

Required Submissions:
  • A-Z; Numerals; Punctuation
  • Link to your .ttf font.
  • 5 font presentations (1024 x 1024 px, 300ppi)
  • 5 font applications (1024 x 1024 px, 300ppi)

Task 3 – Type Expression and Application


Proposal
In task 3, we were instructed to create a font based on the three options given:

  • Create a font that is intended to solve a larger problem/ part of a solution in the area of your interest.
  • Explore existing letterforms in an area of interest.
  • Experimental design
From the options given, we were instructed to present a proposal consisting of our ideas related to the topic. Below is my proposal presentation:

Fig 1.1 Proposal Slides, Week 9

After presenting on week 9, I decided to go with the third idea, which is a font expansion from my previous task (Key artwork & Collateral) where the wordmark would be my base design. 

Fig 1.2 Wordmark design from Task 2, Week 6 (29/05/2024)

Research/ collecting references

As my original wordmark design has a base form of a rectangular shape, so I looked for a unicase font design for my reference research. Other than that, I also looked for block/ heavy bold fonts for my visual reference to help expand the rest of the alphabet letters. 

Fig 1.3 References, Week 10


Sketches

Following the initial letterform design, I did a rough sketch of the structures of my uppercase letterforms.

Fig 2.1 Uppercase sketch, Week 10

Digitization

Rough Digitization 
After sketching was done, I imported my sketch onto Adobe Illustrator for digitization. I first set a fixed-size rectangular shape and used a pen tool to create a counter shape which was then divided using a Pathfinder tool. 

Fig 3.1 Initial digitizing process, Week 10

Below is my first attempt at uppercase digitization:

Fig 3.2 Digitized uppercase (Attempt #1), Week 10

Feedback and Adjustments  
During the feedback session on week 10, Mr Vinod commented that the diagonal axis in the counter shapes is not at a consistent angle. Some letters also needed to improve their readability. 

For this case, Mr Vinod taught us how to create a grid structure so that we could create each letterform at a consistent state. Below is the grid structure that I created:

Fig 3.3 Grid structure, Week 10

To maintain the same diagonal angle of the counter shape, I used a stroke tool to set a fixed angle. I also made some modifications to the outline of the stroke where I rounded its corner and increased stroke weight in the central part so that it followed the initial design. 

After additional settings were made, I set the stroke into a fixed width profile so that I could apply the same to the rest of the counter shapes on the letterforms. 

Fig 3.4 Countershape making process, Week 11

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the adjustments:

Fig 3.5 Before and after adjustment, Week 11

1. Uppercase & lowercase letters

The above process was repeated for each letterform, where minor changes varied according to the counter space needed for each letter. 

After the placement of the counter shape stroke was done, I used the Pathfinder tool > Divide tool to take out the counter space and finalized them with corner rounding. 

Below is my step-by-step process aligned vertically for each alphabet including its experimental process to the finalized version (top to bottom):

Fig 4.1 Uppercase & lowercase process overview, Week 11

Outline view for more detailed structure overview:

Fig 4.2 Outline view, Week 11

I struggled with the uppercase letters 'G', 'H', and 'I' as the readability was heavily reduced when I placed the counter space diagonally– eventually I had to get rid of the diagonal counter and go with a horizontal/ vertical axis. 


Finalized outcome uppercase & lowercase

Fig 4.3 Finalized uppercase & lowercase letterforms, Week 11


2. Numerals & Punctuations

Numerals and punctuations were created using the same method as the above letterforms. 

Initially, I kept the base width the same as lowercase, but eventually, I decided to go with a more compressed version as some numbers tended to appear similar to some lowercase letters like the numbers 0 and 6 as 'o' and 'b'. 

Fig 4.4 Base shape for Numerals; Numerals making process, Week 11

Fig 4.5 Punctuations making process, Week 11


Finalized outcome Numerals & Punctuations

Fig 4.6 Finalized numerals & punctuations, Week 11




FontForge

To create a font, I used the software called 'FontForge' to import my letterform designs. 

1. Importing letterforms onto FontForge from Illustrator
After finalizing all the cases, numerals, and punctuations, I went onto FontForge to import the letterforms which I referred mainly to the post shared by Mr Vinod on how to utilize FontForge.

Fig 5.1 Asset Export on Adobe Illustrator, Week 12

Firstly, I used the asset export tool to export each of my letterforms into the asset window and exported them in SVG format. 



Fig 5.2 Importing files on FontForge, Week 12

Fig 5.3 Size/ Placement Modification window, Week 12

After categorizing each exported file into its folder, I imported each letter onto FontForge accordingly. I used the Element > Transformation > Move & Scale tool to adjust the overall size and placement to the cap height and x-height. 

Finalized letterform importation on FontForge

Fig 5.4 Finalized imported letterforms, Week 12



2. Kerning
Fig 5.5 Sidebearing measurement table, Week 12

Lastly, I made sure the kernings in between all of the letters were relevant according to the table provided by Mr Vinod. 

Fig 5.6 Uppercase & Lowercase Kerning, Week 12

Fig 5.7 Numerals & Punctuation Kerning, Week 12


Font Presentation

Before starting to design the layouts for the font presentation, I created a colour palette so that the overall presentation has consistency. 

Fig 6.1 Colour Palette, Week 13

Fig 6.2 Draft layouts, Week 13

As shown above in Fig 6.2, initially I used the same background colour for all five presentations. Mr Vinod commented that using a different background colour for some of the artworks would make the overall harmony more diverse, therefore I tried utilizing more yellow as the background colour. Below is the improved version based on the feedback gained:

Fig 6.3 Attempt #2, Week 13

However, I thought that I needed more exploration in terms of the arrangement of the layouts, so I made some more attempts on the layouts:

Fig 6.4 More attempts, Week 13

The red box indicates the ones that I selected for final choices. The first and second rows are the before and after modifications– which I had to change the colour arrangement on some artworks. 

Fig 6.5 More attempts, Week 13

I also made the letters appear more scattered to reduce the stiffness from the original arrangement. Compound shape tool & offset path tool were utilized to make each letter slightly stick to each other to match the idea of 'synergize' so that they appear to make a greater piece as a whole. 

After that, I applied some additional 3d effects using the blend tool. While in the process of doing this, I also learned that text alignment is crucial as the direction of the 3d effect might be bent due to bad alignment (also shown in Fig 6.6)  

Fig 6.6 Blend tool, Week 13


Fig 6.7 Punctuation design attempts, Week 13

As for the artwork with the use of punctuation, I tried to make some variations but eventually discarded them all as I found the original piece (red box) working more smoothly with the rest of the artwork compared to the others in Fig 6.6.


Finalized Font Presentation artworks

Fig 6.8 Font Presentation 1, Week 13

Fig 6.9 Font Presentation 2, Week 13

Fig 6.10 Font Presentation 3, Week 13

Fig 6.11 Font Presentation 4, Week 13

Fig 6.12 Font Presentation 5, Week 13


Font Application

For font applications, I wanted to try out creating font applications based on the concept of a concert/ festival and its merchandise– so I selected the mockup models such as record vinyl, concert hall, posters, and other merchandise like keychains and t-shirts.

Fig 7.1 Text/ Necessary elements for mockup, Week 13

All the design layouts for the mockup application were prepared in Adobe Illustrator and exported to Photoshop for placement. Below are some of the processes for layout placement in Photoshop:

Fig 7.1.2 Poster Layout, Week 13

For the saturated blue effect, I used a colour fill layer of blue and applied a blending layer (colour dodge) onto the poster to add in blue tone.


Fig 7.1.3 Keychain layout, Week 13

Some of my previous designs that were unfortunately excluded from font presentations were also used in this stage. Again I used a blending layer to create another set of background colours.


Finalized Font Applications


Fig 7.2 Font Application 1, Week 13

Fig 7.3 Font Application 2, Week 13

Fig 7.4 Font Application 3, Week 13

Fig 7.5 Font Application 4, Week 13

Fig 7.6 Font Application 5, Week 13


Task 3 Final Outcome




Fig 8.1 Finalized letterforms (PDF), Week 13

Fig 8.2 Font Presentation 1, Week 13

Fig 8.3 Font Presentation 2, Week 13

Fig 8.4 Font Presentation 3, Week 13

Fig 8.5 Font Presentation 4, Week 13

Fig 8.6 Font Presentation 5, Week 13


Fig 8.7 Font Application 1, Week 13

Fig 8.8 Font Application 2, Week 13

Fig 8.9 Font Application 3, Week 13

Fig 8.10 Font Application 4, Week 13

Fig 8.11 Font Application 5, Week 13


Fig 8.12 Final Outcome (PDF), Week 13


Font Tester



FEEDBACK

Week 08 (Public Holiday)

General Feedback: -

Specific Feedback: -


Week 09

General Feedback: Refer to the folder provided to see how font presentations were done.

Specific Feedback: Both the first and third ideas are ok to proceed with, but the third one (typeface expansion from Task 2) seems more practical in terms of branding/ identity expansion.


Week 10

General Feedback: Create a grid system as a base underneath your type design so that all letters are consistent. Place the lowercase side by side next to its uppercase letters. Try making several words to observe and test how they actually look when combined.

Specific Feedback: Set a consistent diagonal axis in the counter shapes. Make sure the letter x is more readable. 


Week 11

General Feedback: Use a canvas size of 1000 points when designing the letterform to avoid resizing at the end. 

Specific Feedback: Always set dimensions first before exporting the letterforms into FontLab.


Week 12

General Feedback: Present certain letters that you find it nice/ pleasing for presentation. Set a colour scheme before creating the presentations so that all five presentations are consistent. Refer to the existing font presentation from others/ pentagram site. Keep typographic systems in mind when designing font presentations. 

Specific Feedback: Try adjusting kerning according to the counter space of each letter if there is any. 


Week 13

Specific Feedback: Mr Vinod commented that all five of my font presentations have the same background colour and to avoid that as it could lead to a repetitive design. Wisely use the set colour scheme with variations (background colours) so that each work is diverse. Compare the outcome of each artwork to check its harmony.



REFLECTION

Experiences
Overall, it was a great experience creating a design piece solely utilizing my own abilities; from the font design to presentation and application provided me new experiences and skills. However, there were also some hurdles I faced along with each stage. Importing font to FontForge did take me quite some time as I needed to resize and place one by one, but I think it was also a good take trying out a different software that I have never utilized before. 

Observations
I gained a wide range of insight from the observations of references such as Pentagram, Behance, and more. Comparison of my own works was also important in this task as it helped me figure out which points were lacking and what needed to be changed. 

Findings
I learnt to create a consistent pattern in my type design with the help of the grid method. It was also great to utilize the font I created in several design presentations as it was the chance to know how it looks from a different perspective whilst exploring various layouts. 



← TO TASK 2                                                                                                                TO FINAL COMPILATION→

Comments